My friend and colleague, Don, made this cheeseball for all the teachers eons ago, and it became a family favorite. The girls even requested it for school class parties–even late at night when earlier in the day would’ve have been MUCH BETTER. But I digress.
You can double and divide and freeze for last minute requests, or send one to work with your husband and a large box of Wheat Thins. (Thin isn’t the operative word, but you will not care.)
- 12 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 package Ranch Dressing (dry)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 t. dry dill
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (I prefer almonds)
- Mix first four ingredients in a medium bowl with a meat fork or with your hands
- Form into a ball
- Place chopped nuts on a large piece of wax paper or Saran
- Place ball on nuts and roll gently so that nuts crown the top of the cheese ball
- Draw sides up of paper or Saran to seal and further form the ball.
- Freeze or refrigerate
- Let it come to room temperature before serving
- Serve with a cheese knife and favorite crackers
- Happy New Year!
A little extra dill can be fun.
Add cheese and blend well.
Chop your nuts – here I used walnuts – and place on Saran or wax paper. Plop your “ball” in the middle, draw up the Saran to form your ball nicely, and “it’s a wrap” — one worth giving (and enjoying.)
Double this recipe and divide three ways. Add a cute cheese knife and a bow, and you’ll have your hostess gift all ready!