Feeding an army this weekend? Or you just want some scrumptious cold-weather leftovers?
Mom’s Meatball Soup can do the trick. Easy to double, easy to make-ahead, hearty and healthy. Mom made her meatballs; I used to, but now buy frozen to keep on hand for army-like emergencies. Serve with Ceslie’s cornbread: 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, 2 eggs, 1 can creamed corn.
Off to wrap (still and again) – Happy Christmas and have a blast celebrating the birth of our wondrous Savior!
- 2 cups cooked meatballs
- 2-3 potatoes, diced
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, tops and all, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ garlic powder or 1 crushed clove garlic
- ½ t. Italian seasoning
- ½ head cabbage, shredded
- Bring two cups water to boil; add all ingredients except cooked meatballs and cabbage.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Add meatballs and cabbage.
- Cook 15 more minutes.
- You can easily add more of everything to make enough for a new mom, a sick mom, an old mom or, an army of college students.
I think Mary could have used this recipe for the shepherds. A crock-pot would’ve helped. Keep ingredients on hand. You never know when a crowd might show up (at a very inconvenient time.)
Off to wrap (still and again) – Happy Christmas and Celebrating the birth of our wondrous Savior!