This has been a hard week. For Texans. And now those on the Gulf Coast. Hurricanes are worse than politics as far as hard weeks go. But they do bring the best out in people – unlike politics.
Here’s a quick and hearty dinner to make in a flash – if your electricity is still working and you’re not on your roof waiting for rescue.
Use a deli chicken if you want, for ease and deliciousness. And microwave your potatoes to keep the kitchen cooler. Yes, it’s a little hot in perfect San Luis Obispo this week–a surprise whenever we get a little imperfect, but there it is. And here it is. Just because. It’s been a hard week.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 T. melted butter
- 1 T. taco seasoning
- 1½ cups or more shredded chicken breast
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 small can sliced olives, drained
- 2 T. diced green chilies (opt.)
- 1 c. salsa
- Sliced avocado (opt.)
- scrub and wash potatoes
- bake until tender
- cook pepper an onion in butter until tender
- add taco seasoning and stir well
- remove from heat
- carefully stir in chicken, cheese, olives and chilies
- To serve:
- Cut a lengthwise slit in top of each potato and press to open
- Spoon chicken mixture onto potato
- Add salsa, sour cream and avocado (if you remember)
Easy as pie, easier actually. I polled the family: not big fans of olives, so here it is, sans olives. They are big fans of avocado, but I forgot.
Laughing at their mother again. Typical. Nice having a full table again.
PS I shared this recipe with my launch team this week. I figured they may have had a hard week, too. Over 30 women are helping me get the word out about my new little book (a little book with a big punch): Table Mentoring: A Simple Guide to Coming Alongside. Available now!
I plan to invite some friends to a “round-table” (well, rectangle as the case may be) discussion next month. We will talk through our fears and challenges and joys of mentoring. It’s a short book, a simple book, a readable, transferable book. You might want to do the same. let me know if you do – I’m happy to chime in on Face Time. Let me know in comments.